Skip to main content

Naked in the Snow

When I'm bored, I sometimes think of how things come to be defined. Like the word "sweet." Who decided what "sweet" was and who created the word? Does "sweet" taste different to me that it is to others? What is my threshold for "sweet" vs. "sour"?

I was thinking of this as I drove to work this morning. The Girlfriend and I talked about love this morning. Where is the trip-switch for falling in love? At what point in a relationship do you really feel it? Is there a checklist of things a person has to do to be loved by the other? Is it more qualitative than quantitative?

Can you make someone fall in love you? The popular answer is no, but is that really true? When we court and date and caress and compliment, isn't that making someone fall in love with you? Is love simultaneous? After all, you're both experiencing this relationship bliss at the same time, so why wouldn't love develop concurrently?

Love is an emotion that frightens me. It makes me feel exposed and vulnerable and satisfied all at the same time. As if I were naked in the snow yet still safe and warm. That feeling of warmth and safety made me say those dreaded 3 words.

Saying them, even in the quietest, most tender of moments can be deafening. It seemed that the entire world had heard me. I waited patiently for a response, yet none came. There I was, naked in the snow, only this time without that safe, warm feeling.

I may be a bit frostbitten, but I will persevere, you know why, because I'm in love.

Comments

  1. Interesting way to describe love - I kinda like it. Completely understand both the vulnerability and the safeness of love. You feel totally silly saying it at first, and then it almost becomes second nature - to call out I love you before you leave the house or to text message just to say it. Like the other person will die if they don't know that you love them all the time - wow, that sounded a little obsessive, didn't it?? Not the way I meant it at all. Just that you have to tell the other person right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you think too much. I used to think too much and because of that I missed out on a lot. I had some opportunities a few years ago that I was trying to decide what to do about. My brother, who I hardly ever listened to, pulled me aside and said "Life is like surfing. If you try and decide whether to catch the wave or not, you'll miss it and it'll break on top of you. Just don't think and ride the wave."

    I sounds kinda stupid but he was right. Now I enjoy life a whole lot more and that includes love, relationships, everything. I'm happily married with triplets.

    Oh, by the way. My Old Time Radio site should be up next week and yes I'll have Green Hornet radio shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been naked in the snow. Love feels quite different.

    Oh, you were speaking figuratively ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grief and Appreciation

(Disclaimer: My thoughts are scattered these days. Trying to put together a coherent narrative is hard. Please be kind with any criticism of my rambling. These are my thoughts and feelings as I’m experiencing them in real-time.) I feel like I’m caught in a rip current of sadness and grief. It’s a funny thing, grief. It’s like an insidious wave of water just waiting to pull me from safety and stability. Lately, everything has become a trigger. EVERYTHING. Songs, leftovers in the fridge, memories, pictures, driving, soccer games, groceries…like I said, everything. We spent last weekend driving to and from upstate NY to return Momma-Koog home after watching the boys for us the prior weekend. I drove E-Koog, Mrs. Koog and Momma-Koog last Friday night. B-Koog, the newly minted Leader of his Scout Patrol, was at a Camporee last weekend. Anyway, we picked up E-Koog from school at lunchtime and got on the road for the 7 hour ride to the 518. About 25 miles into the drive, I bega

Paradise Crushed

Entering Heathrow on our way back to the US from the UK, I’ve started scheming and plotting to get back as soon as possible. Mrs. Koog firmly told me as we boarded our flight home we should pay for the trip we were still ON before buying tickets to return. Her thriftiness is endearing...sometimes. Anyway, fast forward 3 1/2 weeks…Thursday, Sept 14, 2023 to be exact. I had been pleading our return to the UK case since before we were wheels-up at LHR, and I felt like we had moved her toward a "yes." The little Koogs had just left for school and we were watching the Today Show as I checked my work email and sipped my tea. The return itinerary was limited to 3 weeks and was only Ireland (Northern and Republic of) and, of course, my beloved Wales. I was giddy as Mrs. Koog was joining me in finding places to stay around the Emerald Isle, even sending me the VRBO link to a lighthouse for rent on Arranmore Island, where her people are from in County Donegal. Our exchange

Sea Sick

I’m sitting here in the surgical waiting room at Medstar Georgetown University (MGUH). So many of our friends and family offered to accompany me during this vigil. I couldn’t articulate why I needed to be alone, but I just felt like I needed to silently grieve what my wife was losing and I didn’t want to burden anyone with that heavy silence. When I am stressed, I write. Ever since I was a kid, words were always my source of comfort in times of crisis and they were my source of memory in times of fun and excitement. But today, a day when I have such acute feelings of sadness, grief and gratitude, I find I’ve lost my words. I thought about why this was as I wandered (read: got lost) the MGUH labyrinth of buildings in search of food. Finally finding the Chick-Fil-A, grabbing my food and swallowing my tears it hit me. I didn’t lose my vocabulary, there’s just so many layers to the sadness, fear and gratitude it's overwhelming and it's very close to the surface. Arriving at the