Skip to main content

Shock and Awe

My Girlfriend's birthday is the last weekend in September. Being the anal-retentive planner that I am, I started planning the big event in June and bought her gift (the major one) on Saturday at Tiffany's.

You might be asking, "Koog, why Tiffany's? That store is so sophisticated and classy and decidedly not you" Let me explain. In preparation for purchasing, I scoured the internet for the perfect gift. I looked at Celtic, platinum, custom and any other kind of jewelry you can think of. Before throwing up my hands and heading to Home Depot, I checked out Tiffany. Lo and behold, they had cool stuff at not too ridiculous prices. I looked at the site and found some rings that I thought she'd like, vetted them to my friends that have taste and was excited see them in the store.

So I, along with a trusted pair of advisors (my Ex and my Neighbor) went to Tiffany's to buy for a ring for the Girlfriend. I need to bring advisors because I suck and I know it, and this girl is special and deserves something better than a Home Depot gift certificate or an American Chopper t-shirt.

After exchanging niceties with the large security guard at the door, we head to the left (cheap) side of the store in search of the perfect gift. I immediately find the one I liked on the internet. It's so not right for her. Not sophisticated enough. After making the very nice sales lady take nearly every ring out of the case, I finally decided on one and my pair of advisors (both of whom had already told me to look at this particular design) agreed that this was perfect for the Girl.

After a struggle to part with my Check Card, I gave it to the sales lady and she wrapped up my Girl's gift.

Now, I realize that I have over a month and a half before the birthday to hang on to this gift. Oh no, this is not good. I have no self control. When I got home, I looked at myself in the mirror and said "Self, you have to stay strong. Don't give in to the instant gratification of immediate gift giving. You're better than that." After that firm but inspiring inner monologue, I felt invincible, completely in control.

With my new found arrogance and control, I put the blue bag in my car. Mocking my prior lack of discipline, I picked her up from work and took her home.

I'm so in control, I bring the bag in her house, mocking the temptation to deliver early.

Oh no, what's this? I look in her eyes and she melts my resolve. Could she know what I have with me? I did not expect this type of underhanded attack! Oh God, she's still looking at me. While talking to me about a seemingly innocuous topic, I'm deafened by the undertone of the conversation. Taunting me, with the account of her day, I am defeated.

The blue bag that I put before her made her laugh. She called me a loser for not being able to wait. Pretending she didn't launch an attack worthy of shock and awe on my army of self control.

She unties the white bow and tries to play it cool. I can tell she's excited. The cover comes off, the pouch opens and... She loves the ring! She mocks me for my lack of discipline. I smile and tell her I want her to have it for her vacation.

Immediately the ring is residing on her finger. I take a deep breath and smile to my self.

Later that evening, I got an e-mail from her with the following message: "I love my ring!"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grief and Appreciation

(Disclaimer: My thoughts are scattered these days. Trying to put together a coherent narrative is hard. Please be kind with any criticism of my rambling. These are my thoughts and feelings as I’m experiencing them in real-time.) I feel like I’m caught in a rip current of sadness and grief. It’s a funny thing, grief. It’s like an insidious wave of water just waiting to pull me from safety and stability. Lately, everything has become a trigger. EVERYTHING. Songs, leftovers in the fridge, memories, pictures, driving, soccer games, groceries…like I said, everything. We spent last weekend driving to and from upstate NY to return Momma-Koog home after watching the boys for us the prior weekend. I drove E-Koog, Mrs. Koog and Momma-Koog last Friday night. B-Koog, the newly minted Leader of his Scout Patrol, was at a Camporee last weekend. Anyway, we picked up E-Koog from school at lunchtime and got on the road for the 7 hour ride to the 518. About 25 miles into the drive, I bega

Paradise Crushed

Entering Heathrow on our way back to the US from the UK, I’ve started scheming and plotting to get back as soon as possible. Mrs. Koog firmly told me as we boarded our flight home we should pay for the trip we were still ON before buying tickets to return. Her thriftiness is endearing...sometimes. Anyway, fast forward 3 1/2 weeks…Thursday, Sept 14, 2023 to be exact. I had been pleading our return to the UK case since before we were wheels-up at LHR, and I felt like we had moved her toward a "yes." The little Koogs had just left for school and we were watching the Today Show as I checked my work email and sipped my tea. The return itinerary was limited to 3 weeks and was only Ireland (Northern and Republic of) and, of course, my beloved Wales. I was giddy as Mrs. Koog was joining me in finding places to stay around the Emerald Isle, even sending me the VRBO link to a lighthouse for rent on Arranmore Island, where her people are from in County Donegal. Our exchange

Sea Sick

I’m sitting here in the surgical waiting room at Medstar Georgetown University (MGUH). So many of our friends and family offered to accompany me during this vigil. I couldn’t articulate why I needed to be alone, but I just felt like I needed to silently grieve what my wife was losing and I didn’t want to burden anyone with that heavy silence. When I am stressed, I write. Ever since I was a kid, words were always my source of comfort in times of crisis and they were my source of memory in times of fun and excitement. But today, a day when I have such acute feelings of sadness, grief and gratitude, I find I’ve lost my words. I thought about why this was as I wandered (read: got lost) the MGUH labyrinth of buildings in search of food. Finally finding the Chick-Fil-A, grabbing my food and swallowing my tears it hit me. I didn’t lose my vocabulary, there’s just so many layers to the sadness, fear and gratitude it's overwhelming and it's very close to the surface. Arriving at the